Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Deep Thoughts While Driving

As I was driving by what was formerly Bell's (hope you're enjoying your new parking lot, RPM), I saw the "Tulsa State Fair" sign. I realized that, although I am in Tulsa, I don't feel that the fair represents me as the people that run it are not, well, fair. I put my thinkin' cap on and came up with a new name for the fair - The M/M Fair. It could be the Murphy Miller Fair, or the Miller Murphy Fair, whichever works for you. That way, the name is a true representation of what lies behind it.

Count my family in as ones not attending the aforementioned fair. I've read some suggestions from people regarding attending the fair and wearing a certain colored shirt to show support for a "NO" vote on the river tax. I have another idea. Instead of giving $$ to M/M, why not just boycott the fair completely and stand outside with signs like "Don't forget Bell's", "Where's your business plan, Randi?" and statements like that. I would think that would get your message across clearer than wearing a certain colored shirt, and you don't have to give you $$ to M/M.

And, who knew KIT liked baseball? I was listening to a Drillers game last week and who made their way into the press box but KIT herself. So that meant that Mark Neely, one of the best announcers around, had to stop describing the game to give KIT airtime. How many games had she been to before that? I'm guessing not many.

Back to the previously mentioned trip to Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market...I was behind a lady in line who was holding up the line because she couldn't get the kind of cheese she wanted because it wasn't the kind of cheese that WIC approved. That, however, is not what got my attention. I understand that some people go through hard times and need assistance. My DH and his first wife were on it for a short time after their daughter was born. What frosted my cookies was the comment one of her three daughters made. She was probably about ten to twelve, sitting next to the candy display in the aisle reading a teenybopper magazine. When her mother and older sister went to leave (the youngest was an infant in the basket), she got up and said, "Can I take this with me?" Her older sister, probably fourteen to sixteen told her, "No, you have to pay for it." The pre-teen stomped her feet a couple of times and said, "Why? Don't you just swipe the card like we do for everything else?" Maybe I shouldn't be so hard on her, that attitude seems to be prevalent among our young people. I guess it just rubbed me the wrong way because I'm paying for her anyway, so shouldn't she feel some sort of responsibility? Either that, or I was waaaaaay too hungry and took something personal that I would have otherwise blown off. Yeah, that's probably it.

No comments: